Airlie Beach News & Events:
Fishy facts and Information about the Great Barrier Reef
Event Description :Fishy facts and Information about the Great Barrier Reef
- The Great Barrier Reef is the largest reef in the world
- The Great Barrier Reef is larger than the entire country of Italy put together
- Astronauts can see the Great Barrier Reef from the moon
- The Great Barrier Reef is the size of about 70 million football fields!
- Recycling is a great way to help places like the Great Barrier Reef stay beautiful and healthy
- Over 1500 kinds of fish live in the Great Barrier reef. The smallest fish is called the Stout Infant Fish which is only 7mm long, and the biggest is the whale shark which can grow up to 12m long
- The Great Barrier Reef is beautiful but also contains some of the deadliest animals in the ocean, including Box Jellyfish, the Blue Ringed Octopus, and Stone Fish
- The popular Disney character Nemo is based on the Anemone Fish (or Clown Fish), which can be seen all over the Great Barrier Reef and look great in photos!
- Many people call the Great Barrier Reef one of the “7 Natural Wonders of the World”.